Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bolognese Sauce

I'm Sicilian and have been making Mom's recipes for years, but things like her sauce was just called sauce.  Today I watched Chef Fabio's cooking show on the Yahoo Network and he made a Bolognese Sauce that I cooked up for dinner tonight. 

You start with Mirepoix: Celery, Carrots, cooked up in Olive Oil till tender.
Add an Onion, sliced fine, and 2 finely chopped cloves Garlic.
In a few minutes, add one cup White Wine.  I used Sherry, cuz I had some!
Let that all bubble up 15-20 minutes then add freshly ground beef.
I used Italian Sausage, again having it in the house.  I sliced the links and squeezed out the meat into my Mirepoix mix, and cooked it for 15-20 minutes and then added one cup Red Wine and let simmer for 20 more minutes.  Then add a can of Crushed Tomatoes or Puree, and a small can of Paste.
After that's all mixed in, let'r simmer for 1/2 hour or more.
Meanwhile, get your Pasta water boiling to make pasta.
I used All Grain Rotini.  When the pasta's done, Pour your nice Bolognese Sauce over and grated cheese. 
Thanks Chef Fabio!

No comments: