Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Right to free Speech ?

I realize how hard we have fought to attain our constitutional rights but now I wonder if people are getting away with moral crimes by exercising their precious free speech. I'm referring to the Westboro Baptist Church that attends military funerals and protest the allowance of homosexuality. There is a time and place for everything but disrupting a funeral is about as un-christian and act as I've ever seen. I can't imagine the pain and humiliation on the part of the deceased soldier's family and friends. A funeral is a time for saying goodbye, grieving, and above all, giving honor and respect to a loved one.

This Westboro Baptist Church, mostly made up of one family, is taking it upon themselves to protest and disrupt over what they feel is important. I am arguing their right to do so, I am stating that they don't have the moral right to place themselves in a position to cause more pain and suffering on people atop of having to bury their loved one.

The issues they are protesting for, I somewhat agree with, however, there are moral obligations to be considered as well as their 1st amendment right. I personally believe that our country is decomposing from our lack of moral ethics. I don't even watch TV because most of what is aired, to me is terrible. Even our sit-coms early in the night, are filled with sex, dissipation, most of what I feel is not appropriate for young children to be exposed to.
Our laws are continually changing to eliminate God from our society. We can not have any photos, monuments, crosses, or anything depicting Christianity on display publicly. We have sold out God and put false gods, pagan gods, and idols in place of our Father. As our grandparents and parents used to say: "We're going to hell in a hand basket."

Still, what this so-called church is doing with their protesting, I call blasphemy. As Christians, we are called to follow Christ's teachings, and preach the Gospel, not disrupt funerals, causing so much pain needlessly. I could stake my life that members of the Westboro Baptist Church are not sinless. Every single human being is a sinner. It is not our duty or direction to go about causing disruption and tongue wagging. The sad part is, our constitutional laws are protecting these creeps.

No comments: