Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Beautiful Lenten Journey

                                                The Beautiful Lenten Journey




How can I describe the Lenten journey?  It's so many things, it's hard for me to explain.  It starts on Ash Wednesday, with the repentance reminder: "From dust I came and from dust I shall return."  It is our version of donning sack cloth with ashes as a symbol of our repentance for our sins.  The rest of the Lenten journey is all about Jesus, who born of the Virgin Mary under the power of the Holy Spirit becomes flesh and blood and enters the world, God's begotten son, to show us the way back to God, by sacrificing his precious blood for the forgiveness of our sins, creating the new and everlasting covenant and prepares the way for us to follow.  Our Lenten focus is on Jesus, as He declares his ministry, establishes His church, and continues on His journey to Calvary to be the Lamb of God. 
I try to imagine what must have going through His mind, knowing He was going to be betrayed, tried, and crucified.  I try to imagine even before His public ministry, in the desert with Satin, being tempted, without food for 40 days, and coming out, the victor. 
My sacrifices of fasting from meat and alcohol, during the season, attending daily Mass, praying the Holy Rosary, and reflecting the trials Jesus consumed for me. 
I am feeling the hunger, the longing for that hamburg or glass of wine, but at the same time, I am strengthened through prayer and supplication.  As I keep my eyes on the cross, I glean the perseverance to carry my little, almost insignificant cross as a sign of my hunger and thirst for my spiritual bread and wine. 
O my sweet Jesus, I promise to follow the narrow path of salvation, spreading the good news in your most Holy name to the best of my capabilities, knowing I will be lifted up by the Holy Spirit and fed with the hope of the fruits of Your promise.  I don't know the way but I know You will provide me with guidance, strength, and spirit.


No comments: