Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Danger in taking things out of context

Going to church does not make one a Christian any more than standing in the garage makes you a car. I see this posted on Face Book by many lately. I guess what they are really saying is, just because one goes to church, it does not necessarily mean that they go out into the world a lead a pious life. But back to the original statement; I sorta have a problem with that. Going to church can make you a better Christian. If one attends church time and time again, yet goes out feeling no different than when they came in, that individual is only there in body, not spirit. Even then, God can make changes in one's spirit, small though they may be, that can lead to bigger changes in one's mind and soul, later.
I do not go into a garage and pray to be transformed into a car. I do go to church and pray for the forgiveness of my sins, I pray for the petitions of those in need, I pray for my own guidance, and thank God for filling me with the holy spirit, thank Him for my blessings and my suffering. I listen to the daily readings and homilies and reflect on how they apply to me today. I go to church for my daily bread. When the priest holds the host up high and says "This is the lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world." my spirit is lifted up high, knowing I am receiving Jesus, body and blood, into my body, into my soul, into my spirit.
So, I don't intend to be incarnated into a car today, but I have faith and hope that by going to church today, I will be a Christian who will go out into the world and spread the good news.

No comments: